Andrew Mayock, Senior Advisor to the Director, Office of Management and Budget
James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence
Beth Cobert, Acting Director, Office of Personnel Management
Michael Daniel, Special Assistant to the President and Cybersecurity Coordinator
The Federal Government will mitigate the inherent risks posed by personnel with access to cleared facilities, systems, and other personnel. To achieve this objective, agencies will work through the Performance Accountability Council to achieve the following:
- Develop Insider Threat Programs: Ensure compliance with national insider threat policies, to include establishing an insider threat program that meets the established minimum standards.
- Improve Oversight and Quality of Background Investigations: Improve oversight to ensure investigations and adjudications meet government-wide quality standards.
- Eliminate Backlog of Reinvestigations: Drive adherence to existing security and suitability reinvestigation timeliness guidelines, prioritizing submissions based on risk, and increasing the frequency of reinvestigations for high risk populations.
- Improve Automation: Increase the availability and usage of automation to access information relevant to suitability and security background investigations.
- Share Adverse Information: Ensure internal and external processes exist for sharing reported adverse information.
- Enhance Security Culture: Ensure awareness training and reporting mechanisms exist for early detection of actions and behaviors of concern, and establish performance accountability for security for all personnel.
The Performance Accountability Council’s Program Management Office, comprised of representatives from the Office of Management and Budget, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Office of Personnel Management, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, as well as the Senior Information Sharing and Safeguarding Steering Committee, will be responsible for driving government-wide implementation of these goals, and identifying recommended solutions to further safeguard our personnel and protect our nation’s most sensitive information.